Honey Oak Bathroom Vanity

Another oak vanity bites the dust!

chalk paint bathroom cabinets

Another oak vanity bites the dust! Check out this beautiful, simple, and inexpensive makeover to this blogger's basement guest room bathroom vanity!

This weekend I full-on attacked the honey oak vanity in our basement guest bathroom with Annie Sloan's "Old White" chalk paint, Minwax Finishing Paste, and finally Annie Sloan's dark wax. She's a beaut!

Another oak vanity bites the dust! Check out this beautiful, simple, and inexpensive makeover to this blogger's basement guest room bathroom vanity!

After spontaneously painting the walls last week, I decided to grab a girlfriend and venture 45 minutes west to Abilene, Kansas to the nearest Annie Sloan stockist to pick up some chalk paint on Saturday. I used latex paint on the half bath vanity and gel paint on Hadley's bathroom vanity and didn't completely fall in love with either finished product. I knew I wanted to splurge a bit and go for the good stuff (Annie Sloan) to knock out this last oak vanity.

I knew this baby had potential to be the prettiest of the three because of its nearly unused condition and intricate detailing.

chalk paint bathroom vanity

Because I already had most of the necessary materials on hand, this project only cost me $50.

  1. One quart of chalk paint ($37) —> I barely used half, so #score for having some left for a future project!
  2. One tiny jar of dark soft wax ($13) —-> Barely touched this one either. Hooray!
  3. One jar of Mixwax finishing paste (already had)
  4. One Purdy brush to brush on chalk paint (already had)
  5. One old Purdy brush to apply dark wax (already had)
  6. Screwdriver to take off and put back on hardware
  7. One old bed sheet to paint doors and drawers on
  8. 5,000 old paint towels to rub on Minwax and blend in dark wax

IMG_7227

I started the project while Hadley was napping Saturday afternoon, continued a little bit after she woke up, did a little bit more after I put her to bed, and finally finished up during her nap time yesterday (Sunday). From start to finish this project took about five hours.

Hadley wanted to play with her entire 24 pack of play dough (thank you Uncle David) once she woke up, so I figured I'd continue painting since she was in the same room as me happily playing. I should have known better because the last time I used Annie Sloan paint around Hadley she dumped a quarter of the jar all over my kitchen floor. This time she wanted to leave her mark a different way.

IMG_7229

If this were our forever home and I didn't have a future home sale in mind, I would have kept this no doubt because it's kind of the cutest thing ever! I don't think future potential home buyers will think it's quite as endearing. 🙂

Annie Sloan chalk paint is different from other paint because no prep work is required. I personally loathe sanding, so this stuff is my jam. If you want a buttery-smooth finish that's professional quality, you still need to sand. For this project, I didn't touch my sanding sheets. It was awesome.

Another oak vanity bites the dust! Check out this beautiful, simple, and inexpensive makeover to this blogger's basement guest room bathroom vanity!

Steps I took from start to finish:

  1. Took off hardware and painted on thin first coat; Let dry one hour
  2. Painted on thin second coat; Let dry another hour
  3. Painted on third and final coat; Let dry several hours
  4. Rubbed on Minwax finishing paste
  5. Immediately brushed on dark wax (use sparingly!) and used a cloth to rub it in/rub it off
  6. Rubbed on more  Minwax finishing paste to try to better blend the dark wax (clear wax on top of dark wax acts as a semi-eraser)
  7. Reattached doors and drawers
  8. Texted pictures to family and friends to confirm I had actually not ruined this piece (I was a bit worried the dark wax was overkill)

Another oak vanity bites the dust! Check out this beautiful, simple, and inexpensive makeover to this blogger's basement guest room bathroom vanity!

Another oak vanity bites the dust! Check out this beautiful, simple, and inexpensive makeover to this blogger's basement guest room bathroom vanity!

Don't you just love those old linoleum floors?! Ack! Gotta go. The handyman who put in the carpeting in the guest room last summer is coming over this week to give me an estimate on new flooring, so I'm really curious what kind of dollar signs we're talking. This bathroom is teeny tiny but I know bathrooms can be a pest for flooring because of all the special cuts. We'll see! It's a necessary step to updating the house, and I know new floors will tie all of this together. I'd love a new countertop too, but we're just going to add that to the long list of "wants" that is so far down the priority list we'll probably never see it happen. Not a big deal!

Oak Bathroom Vanity Makeover with Annie Sloan's Old White and dark wax:Another oak vanity bites the dust! Check out this beautiful, simple, and inexpensive makeover to this blogger's basement guest room bathroom vanity!

Update: Check out the updated faux wood floor tiling that my handyman installed! It was beautiful and relatively inexpensive.

PS: I just tackled my biggest project of all – our honey oak kitchen cabinets! You won't believe the transformation. More detailed info about using chalk paint in this post.

We used Annie's Sloan Pure White paint and clear wax to do a entire transformation in our kitchen. Our cabinets were originally a grainy honey oak, but now they look brand new! Here's the materials we used, the time it took, etc.

Honey Oak Bathroom Vanity

Source: http://whimsicalseptember.com/2016/02/2235.html/